Re: Impressionism

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 08:17:26 -0700

Margaret Grosspietsch wrote:

> I'm student teaching at the junior high level right now. I'm also writing my own
> lesson plans but following a curriculum outline my mentor teacher gave me. I
> currently have my eighth graders in the midst of a figure drawing unit and
> thought my mentor teacher wanted me to go from there to expressionism... a
> natural transition, I thought. (Go from the proportions of the figure to
> exaggerating and distorting them and getting into issues of identity and
> emotion, etc. Perhaps I would have them paint expressive portraits of each
> other... lots of choices).
>
> WELL, OOPS!--she wants me to go from figure drawing to IMPRESSIONISM and
> painting, instead. Can anyone help me find a decent transition from figure
> drawing to the impressionistic painting?
>
> I thought about creating monotypes (using paint) rather than "just paint" but I
> can't really find a focus point for the lesson. I believe this school typically
> has had the students pick an image from a magazine and then they paint it four
> times (once using pointillism, once using Van Gogh type strokes, etc.)--I
> apologize in advance if any of you conduct a similar assignment, but it strikes
> me as incredibly DULL--too much like a "drill for skill" lesson rather than
> higher-order thinking and creating. (Sorry.)
>
> So-o-o-o, I'm writing to request ideas for successful, engaging,
> thought-provoking lesson ideas related to impressionism and painting
> (tempera)... what has been successful in your classes?
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Margaret
I kind of got lost in your question. Are you asking how to go from
figure drawing to impressionism? Or just how to go to impressionism?

Anyway...take this idea for what it's worth. I am definitely NOT a
drill for skill person, drives me nuts quickly, and so my thread from
one idea to another is obvious to me, but perhaps not to others.
However, kids learn to think, and usually are surprised.

Keeping in mind that I talk to students about impressionism "stopping a
specific moment in time" and that moment goes beyond the edges of the
canvas, and usually is in bathed light, I challenge them with this
specific assignment: Paint the interior of the girls' room or boys' room
in school. OK, that means they have to go to the bathroom and do
sketches during my class. They do. And the paintings are wonderful.
Sometimes they have figures, usually crouching in corners smoking (NEVER
on the aparatus), or washing up by the sink, or adjusting makeup, hair,
etc. These paintings are not that far from the spirit of Degas'
bathers.

(At this point I should mention I teach High School, and that the
administration is used to me by now).

San D