Re: Middle School or Elem?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sue Palfrey (spalfre1)
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 15:44:06 -0400

Kelly--
After 18 years at the elementary level, I switched to middle school. I
love it!! I love the energy level of middle students, which when channeled
into the creative process, produces wonderful art. We have block
scheduling so I see fewer students for longer periods of time, and like
being able to establish more of a relationship with my students. I also
like that middle school students still want lots of praise and positive
feedback from their teacher. . My students really do care what I think.
They are more patient than elementary students, generally, in waiting for
their turn for my attention! They like to make a lot of their own decisions
about subject matter. We work together to develop ideas for subject matter
where learning will take place, and their interest is maintained.

My middle school students seem to change more from day to day than
elementary students (but that may just be because I see them more often).
I can have a class that is less than great one day, and the next time I see
them, they are on task and working hard. They are fun to watch -- acting
all grown up one day, and back to being kids the next.

I have to say that the level of behavior throughout the whole school is
really quite good, which I'm sure makes a difference. I still have
students who need assistance at staying on task, put down other students,
or who talk too loudly, and I may find a few balls of kneaded erasers or
clay that have been tossed when I'm not looking... I find that I prefer
that kind annoying adolescent behavior to the amount of time I spent
"waitressing" (i.e. assisting in changing paint water) in the lower grades.

Sue Palfrey
Falmouth Middle School
Falmouth, Maine