Re: positive/negative space

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sue Palfrey (spalfre1)
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 15:26:34 -0400

Visual arts and dance is a wonderful combination. I often explain negative
space as 'the space between'. It helps to start out with really obvious 2
dimensional examples such as black and white relief prints (Eskimo relief
prints, Edvard Munch, Albrecht Durer, and black and white Japanese woodcuts
come to mind). For three dimensional examples, I've found that 4th and 5th
graders can discuss the concept of negative space when looking at the
sculpture of Henry Moore. Using slides to point out the relationship
between the negative and positive space in dance might also help your
audience see the space when they view the actual demonstration.

Sue Palfrey
So. Portland, Maine