Deja News Retrieved Document

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Griswold, Charlotte (griswald)
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 18:41:57 -0700

--------------2776A1B76A6

http://xp8.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?recnum=586765&server=dnserver.db97p2&CONTEXT=861413535.9125&hitnum=19
I just found this information about dung firing and thought that it
might be useful. to retreive, as it doesn't look blue on my screen,
just go to DejaNews search, and type in dung. Later, Charlotte

--
Charlotte Griswold
griswald
Art Happens!

--------------2776A1B76A6 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii; name="getdoc.xp" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline; filename="getdoc.xp" Content-Base: "http://xp8.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?recn um=586765&server=dnserver.db97p2&CO NTEXT=861413535.9125&hitnum=19"

<BASE HREF="http://xp8.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?recnum=586765&server=dnserver.db97p2&CONTEXT=861413535.9125&hitnum=19">

Deja News Retrieved Document [Previous] [Next Results] [Current Results] [Get Thread] [Author Profile] [Post] [Post] [Reply]

Article 20 of 68

Subject:      Re. bonfire bummer
From:         Eric Mindling <rayeric>
Date:         1997/03/14
Newsgroups:   bit.listserv.clayart
[More Headers]

Kevin,
        I'm in Oaxaca, Mexico working with potters who have done all their
firing for the last few millennia in bonfires.  Here are a few things
I've observed in their firings.  First, they bring to it a whole lot of
accumulated experience. Second, there is still inevitble breakage. The
wind kicks up, the soil was a little moist, the pot wasn't fully dry,
the clay nahual got in there with a sledge hammer.
        Factors that help the pot come out the other end of the firing intact:
         The clay is generally very high in sand temper. (I once brought a
potter a lump of the Rod's Bod clay that I used up at the University in
California, and she wouldn't beleive that it was clay.  To smooth,
doesn't smell like earth).  Pots are fired green, but always pre-heated,
either in the morning sun, or around the coals of the kitchen fire.
        Firings are generally done with the pots placed on a bed of sticks,
then covered with big shards of deceased pots and then piled all around
with wood, dung, dried agave stalks or whatever else is available.
Firings are quick, usually 45 minutes and in this time the potter will
often add more wood to parts of the fire that she's determined aren't
hot enough.
        Pots are always burnished, I don't know if this helps in the firing by
strengthening the clay or is just an asthetic touch.  Likely both and
more.
        Good luck! From Oaxaca where the traditional potters swim upstream in a
heavy flow of platic buckets, tin cups and aluminum pans.

Eric Mindling
Manos De Oaxaca
rayeric

[Previous] [Next Results] [Current Results] [Get Thread] [Author Profile] [Post] [Post] [Reply]
Home   Power Search   Post to Usenet   Ask DN Wizard   Help
Why use DN?  |  Advertising Info  |  Press Releases  |  Jobs  |  Policy Stuff
Copyright © 1995-97 Deja News, Inc. All rights reserved.
--------------2776A1B76A6--

  • Reply: Sidnie Miller: "Re: Middle School or Elem?"