Re: public sculpture

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Chaney (lchaney)
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 22:11:34 -0500

Pam Stephens wrote:

> For a future issue of the newsletter published by the North
> Texas Institute for Educators on the Visual Arts, I am
> researching the topic of public sculpture. Controversy
> frequently accompanies installation of public sculpture. I
> would like to include within the article reference to issues
> that have stemmed from sculpture being placed in public areas.
>
> This is a request for your input. If you know of a controversy
> arising from the installation of public sculpture in your area, please
> share. I am looking for all sorts of issues whether they relate
> to the actual object, funding of the artwork, the site of the
> artwork, or anything surrounding the installation.
>
> Please be as specific as possible in your response (title of
> work, artist, location, or any reference documentation will be
> helpful).
>
> If your "controversy" is used in the newsletter article, you will be listed
> as a contributor.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Pam Stephens
>
> -------
>
> Pamela Geiger Stephens
> Project Coordinator
> North Texas Institute for Educators on the Visual Arts
> P.O. Box 5098
> University of North Texas 76203-0098
> 817-565-4552
> 817-565-4867 fax
> stephens

This is probably of no help to you....

Upon reading your article, I recall a few years ago, when "shuttlecocks"
were installed in the yard at the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art. (I am
from Kansas City, MO). I know that if you were to research this museum,
there were articles in the Kansas City Star about how the public
responded to this. Many people thought they were ugly and made no
sense. They thought "How is a badminton birdie a sculpture?" Yet they
are still there.

I also recall the sculptures put on top of Bartle Hall, in downtown K.C.
Perhapse the Newspaper again would be a starting place for your
research?