Re: More on Art Fairs

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
David Larsen (dll-marino.k12.ca.us)
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 14:04:42 -0700

Laura Allan wrote:

> I think that Art Fairs are a wonderful opportunity for the
> many reasons people have mentioned. This is my first
> year in a new district, and in this district each art teacher,
> (I think there are about 11 of us) submits 30 pieces - it is
> hard to narrow down from 800 students to 30! I feel so
> torn between talking it up to make the 30 feel good, and
> playing it down so the 770 don't feel bad. Not only that,
> but the winners of the show don't get their work back, it
> gets hung in an obscure place for few to see. I am now
> hoping none of my kids win. I don't mean to be a
> sour-puss, but it is frustrating. In my old district I made sure
> each student had at least one item displayed. Everyone
> felt involved and successful. Maybe after it is all over I will
> feel better about this whole thing. I certainly have my
> doubts.
> :( Laura Allan
I understand the feeling of frustration at not being able to recognize
all students for the work they have done. Since it sounds as though you
are expected to only send 30 to participate in the district wide "Art
Fair", I would consider organizing an art fair at your own school in
which each student has at least one piece of art displayed. No
"winners", just participants who should be very proud to show off their
work. Perhaps at Open House or some such night.

David Larsen
Valentine Elementary School