Re: Art Fair

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Deborah Gilbert (dngart.us)
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 11:59:04 -0600 (MDT)

Mark wrote:

>Dear Larry and Judy,
>I agree with Judy. As a sixth grader I remember winning a prize at the
>school art show and having my best friend feel left out. The experience
>turned him off to art, and it turned me off to juried shows, especially at
>the K-8 level. As a matter of fact, it was only recently that I entered any
>juried shows myself! For twenty years as an artist I've sought only one
>person or non-juried shows for exhibiting my work, because I feel that
>while a judge is welcomed to their opinion, their opinion is irrelevent to
>the goals of my artwork.

And to add a few comments to Mark's observations, I would like to say that
everytime I have seen works in a juried show I have found myself
disagreeing with the decision of the judges. I would be willing to bet
that if you took 3 sets of judges and had them jury the *same* art show,
you would end up with three different first place winners. Art
appreciation is very subjective, as illustrated by my first graders last
week - I had placed a different print on each of the five tables in the
room and had them pick the one they liked the best (Pippin, Shahn,
Oldenberg, Miro and Pollack) and there was always a group at each table,
vehemently defending their favorite work.

Deborah