Re: Art Fair

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (Alexander)mamjam)
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:58:55 -0500

Dear Larry and Judy,
I agree with Judy. As a sixth grader I remember winning a prize at the
school art show and having my best friend feel left out. The experience
turned him off to art, and it turned me off to juried shows, especially at
the K-8 level. As a matter of fact, it was only recently that I entered any
juried shows myself! For twenty years as an artist I've sought only one
person or non-juried shows for exhibiting my work, because I feel that
while a judge is welcomed to their opinion, their opinion is irrelevent to
the goals of my artwork. And while I haven't "struck it rich" as an artist,
the sales of my work sometimes covers the costs of making it, so I consider
myself successful. In May we will be having the Kellogg Band Concert and
Art Show, which is a celebration of art and music without competition.
Respectfully yours,
Mark Alexander
1-8 Art
Lee H. Kellogg School