Re: Watercolor blocks

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Larry E. Chaney Jr. (lchaney)
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 13:00:00 -0500

Sandra Hildreth wrote:

> As an experienced artist/teacher, I have an embarassing question to ask:
> for years I have done watercolors on large single pieces of Arches 300
> lb. watercolor paper. Recently my local college bookstore had a sale and
> I bought a block of watercolor paper (25 sheets). How does one get the
> individual pieces of paper separated from the block? It is also Arches
> paper and has a band of black stuff all around the 4 edges. Hopefully
> someone can email me a quick answer. I've already painted on the top
> sheet (I just couldn't wait to use it). Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Sandra Hildreth
> C.L.A.S.S. (Cultural Literacy through Art & Social Studies)
> http://www.northnet.org/hildreth
> Art 7-12, Madrid-Waddington Central School, Madrid, NY 13660
> Art Methods, St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY 13617

Sandra,

Upon taking Watercolor class, for my masters degree, I was taught to
take the end of a thin paint brush and stick it under the first sheet of
paper. (There should be an opening somewhere, if not I would cut one
with an X-Acto knife). Run the brush all the way around the block under
the first sheet of paper. This should release it.

Mel Chaney