Re: public sculpture curriculum

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ChevvyHevy
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 01:32:24 -0400 (EDT)

Anne:

Here are a few websites I found helpful for info on public art/monuments in
the D.C. area. Enjoy!

For info on the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial (including Women's & Three
Servicemen)
http://www.militarycity.com/wall.html
http://www.nps.gov/vive/index2.htm

Info on National Parks as Classrooms:
http://www.nps.gov/interp/parkclass.html
If you just type in the first part, you can search for other parks &
monuments in any state.

Info on the FDR Memorial coming soon to D.C.
http://www.axionet.com/key/FDR/Kite.html

Sherri Grossman
Student, B.S. Art Education
Kutztown University of PA

<< artsednet

Anne Stecker wrote:
>How have you used public sculpture or monuments in your curriculum?
> Where did you get your information and images?

First, Anne, thanks for the great links, I have not explored them
thoroughly, but they look great!

Yes, I have used public art in my grade 3-5 classes. We look at and
discuss Mount Rushmore and other mega monuments. Then I narrow down to
Christo's work of wrapping islands, etc. Because we live near Monument
Valley, and there are tons of great formations around here, the students
create a plan to change the rock formation in some way. One student
wanted to put a giant hat on a volcanic plug which is called El Cap....
short for El Capitan... they draw their plan and write a short
description of what they would use and how they would do it. We also get
into some interesting discussions on the effects on the environment...
I have used Mining monuments as a theme because we have a coal mine
here... and ... for some reason this quote is just stuck in my head.. I
do not use it on the kids... but a critic talked about the aesthetic
placement of outdoor sculpture which is in harmony with its surroundings
vs "turds in the plaza".

Hope you have a great trip to DC!!!

Chris