Re: meaning that is age appropriate

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Christine Beth Johnson (chrbjohn)
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 07:19:23 -0500 (EST)

Learning theorists different on this . From what I have come to
understand, Piaget wuld say about age 4 ( he believes children thought
process grows with age), Bruner would say when they have gone through the
stage in development to do the task. In the enactive stage they can
physically do, in the iconicd stage they can relate representation to a
symbol, in the symbolic stage they can use an abstract means like
language to express a concept. So the meaning discussion may be hard
until they have devloped an understanding of the language to diecribe it
in a discussion. I have used Brodie's "polar pairs" for some early
discussion with early el students. Is this a happy pucture or a sad
picture, fast or slow, etc. Then ask them how they came to that conclusion.
Christy