Re: meaning that is age appropriate

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
BSS (rekcets)
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 08:49:38 -0700

Kara Lee English wrote:

> Dear Artsedneters?
>
> Do you think that there is an age that is appropriate for children to
> begin to look for meaning in a painting?
>
> What kind of information do you give your children about an art work
> before they talk about it? How does it different for various age
> groups?
>
> Thanks for any information!
> Kara English
> kle0003.edu

Kara:

I have first graders look for expressive properties and get some great
observations. During a critical thinking skills lesson with a 1/2 class
we compared and contrasted Renoir's painting of Monet in his garden and
Picasso's woman looking in the mirror. After listing how the paintings
were the same and how they were different the students then had to look
at the information and draw a conclusion. They decided that Renoir
painted what he saw and Picasso painted what he felt! Wow! I was
shocked and thrilled. Never under estimate the mind of a child!

I give little or no information about a painting before we scan it.
After I will explain a little about the artist, or perhaps when we
discuss the technical properties. This is generally true for all ages.

Hope this helps.

Anne Stecker
rekcets