Re: Curriculum Issues

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sandra Hildreth (shildret)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 23:28:40 -0400

Daniella wrote:
> Does anyone out there have any
> suggestions on how to structure a unit on Minoan pottery?

First of all I liked your comments about students being able to
"generate the content of discussion based on observations, then from
there the instructor can lead it in a specific direction". I rarely use
slides any more and prefer to use either reproductions or postcards or
magazine clippings of artwork - so I can pass them around, have the
students work in pairs and compare and contrast sets of examples, or
carry them around with me as references while my students are working.
Rather than tell students what is in the examples, it certainly is more
effective to get them to observe and tell you want they see, etc.

As far as Minoan pottery - it would be great to have some visual
examples to compare and contrast with examples from some very different
culture or style. Display or pass out the examples and then create a
list about how they are similar and different, based on student's
observations. That list can then become the starting point of a
discussion or your presentation about Minoan pottery and whatever kind
of project you were planning to do. If would be fun to have your
students create a pottery piece that they could decorate with abstracted
organic forms based on animal or plant forms specific to your region
(like the Minoans used octopus and dolpins and bulls on their pottery).

--
Sandra Hildreth
C.L.A.S.S. (Cultural Literacy through Art & Social Studies)