Art and Advertising

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sandra Hildreth (shildret)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 22:51:26 -0400

Melissa wrote:
> Anyone have any great tips or know of resources regarding logo designs
> and how to teach this stuff to this age?

I would suggest that you collect some logo examples that would be
commonly recognized by kids - then create a hand-out with the logo's, or
make an overhead, or something to display them - without any pictures of
the products or names. Ask the kids what they mean. For example, they
will all surely recognize the Nike "swoosh". Then you could lead a
discussion about how they knew what these logo's were (they are
plastered all over the media and the products themselves); what makes
each logo distinctive, yet easy to identify (simple, basic forms, easy
to recognize in an instant, usually high contrast, very few words - in
other words, the image is what communicates - it becomes a symbol for
the product). You might be able to bring up the fact (or maybe the kids
will notice) that sometimes logos are abstract forms while other times a
mini image of the product, or the symbol for the product (Apple
Computer). Or they can be a design involving an initial (like Kodak).
These all then become your guidelines for designing original logos. Good
luck.

--
Sandra Hildreth
C.L.A.S.S. (Cultural Literacy through Art & Social Studies)