Forwarded: Forwarded: Re: Curriculum Issues

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Christine Merriam (BRUCED)
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 23:27:18 -0500

From: Self <BRUCED>
To: zimmerm
Subject: Forwarded: Re: Curriculum Issues
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 23:22:22

From: Self <BRUCED>
To: artsednet
Subject: Re: Curriculum Issues
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 13:01:30

As a student studying art education and art history, I am particularly
interested in different approaches to teaching art history within the
art class. Students are becoming as immuned to slide presentations as
we once were to construction paper cut outs. It seems as soon as the
lights go out the students think that I can't see them and won't bother
asking for feedback. I love the idea of having them generate the content
of discussion based on observations, then from there the instructor can
lead it in a specific direction. I am definately going to put this
method to use. I want my students to appreciate and understand the
context of the artwork they are studying. I think part of the reason
students don't make the connection (as in synthesize the information) is
because traditional approaches to art history are compartmentalized. I
would like to approach it so that students see the history of "art" as
that culture's mirror on the wall.Does anyone out there have any
suggestions on how to structure a unit on Minoan pottery?
Daniella Bruce.