Re: public sculpture curriculum

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Christine Merriam (ktwnldy.az.us)
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 22:07:23 -0600

Anne Stecker wrote:
>How have you used public sculpture or monuments in your curriculum?
> Where did you get your information and images?

First, Anne, thanks for the great links, I have not explored them
thoroughly, but they look great!

Yes, I have used public art in my grade 3-5 classes. We look at and
discuss Mount Rushmore and other mega monuments. Then I narrow down to
Christo's work of wrapping islands, etc. Because we live near Monument
Valley, and there are tons of great formations around here, the students
create a plan to change the rock formation in some way. One student
wanted to put a giant hat on a volcanic plug which is called El Cap....
short for El Capitan... they draw their plan and write a short
description of what they would use and how they would do it. We also get
into some interesting discussions on the effects on the environment...
I have used Mining monuments as a theme because we have a coal mine
here... and ... for some reason this quote is just stuck in my head.. I
do not use it on the kids... but a critic talked about the aesthetic
placement of outdoor sculpture which is in harmony with its surroundings
vs "turds in the plaza".

Hope you have a great trip to DC!!!

Chris

__________________________________________KewlJewl