Re: Water and the Arts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teresa Tipton (ttipton.wa.us)
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:05:45 -0800 (PST)

Try exploring wet on wet techniques to create backgrounds over which you
can overlay things that live in water. I have been using watercolor
crayons, watercolor pencils, and watercolors with this age and they love
the magic of seeing how the water turns their lines into watercolor. I
have also used drawing with these media on mylar, cutting out types of
fish, plants, invertebrates, and macroinvertebrates to make underwater
collages; the mylar lets them see the background underneath and sequeys
into overlapping shapes; foreground, background, middleground, horizon
lines, etc.

You can find lots of examples of water in works of art and use the style
of the painting to create works i.e. pointalism, "van gogh lines," Turner
water, etc.