Re: criticism v. aesthetics

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Nancy Walkup (walkup)
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 09:09:02 CST6CDT

From: KatCascio
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 11:08:11 -0400
To: artsednet
Subject: criticism v. aesthetics

I'm curious about the range of ideas people have concerning the
differences/similarities between art criticism and aesthetics.

Kathryn Cascio

Kathryn:

You might be interesting at looking at our content on art
criticism and aesthetics on our web site:
http://www.art.unt.edu/ntieva/ under "Art Curriculum."

We also have incorporated Marilyn Stewart's suggestion that
aesthetics is concerned with "art in general," and that art
criticism is usually more focused on specific works of art. For
example, in our DBAE diagram, we define art criticism as
"interpreting meaning and making critical judgments about
individual contemporary works of art," and aesthetics as
"questioning the nature , significance, and purposes of art in
general."

Nancy

Nancy Walkup, Project Coordinator
PO Box 5098, University of North Texas 76203
817/565-3986 FAX 817/565-4867
Walkup