Re: Block Schedules

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Debbie M Zafereo (zafereo)
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 18:46:04 -0500 (CDT)

I teach at a two-year old middle school in Texas. We opened with block
scheduling, and I have enjoyed the luxury of 1 1/2 hour classes.
BUT...
Now the nightmare has begun. We have so many students that we don't have
enough electives with the six periods we teach (each teacher has
three classes daily in a four period day and sees each class every other
day).
The solution to reducing the 35-40+ class sizes? Elective teachers
are losing a planning period every other day. We will teach four
classes of three different grade levels straight through with only a
(ha!) 30 minute lunch break. Adding the extra class will reduce the
numbers each period AND prevent the necessity of hiring another elective
teacher. So now we can hire a core curriculum teacher instead. After all,
in our district, core teachers get an extra stipend daily for each
student they teach over the class limit of 30.