[teacherartexchange] Altered Book Tip In Exchange - New Group starting

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 21 2011 - 08:48:07 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

I am starting to collect names for the summer Tip In Exchange. For the
exchange, we will be doing one page - front and back - 5 1/2 x 8 1/2.
That size seems to be more manageable for everyone. You may of course,
choose to do the inside facing pages of a spread (both 5 1/2 x 8 1/2).
If you do the spread, I recommend something on the front and back
pages too so folks can tip them in with their single pages and not
have back side blank.

The theme is "The Places You Will Go". You may loosely interpreted
that theme. As with my previous pages, mine will include African
artifacts I have purchased (and would like to purchase if I were
rich). Hmmmm....thinking I kind of like 'Places of the Heart" (which
could be imaginary places you wish to travel).... Once the group is
formed we can narrow in on the exact theme.

For those of you new to Altered Books, Tip In Exchanges are much
easier way to share you art in members books than sending the entire
book (Round Robin). The summer I organized Altered Book Round Robins,
several books got lost which was heartbreaking. To date, there has
only been one set of tip ins lost in the mail - out of hundreds (yes
probably hundreds by now - been doing these since 2005 for art
teachers - several times a year). You will mail me 5 pages to exchange
(keep one for yourself). I will sort them out and mail back to you for
you to "tip" into a book.

Generally, to tip in - you remove most of the pages from a book,
leaving 1/2 strip at the spine on enough pages to hold your tip ins.
Apply glue (or double stick tape) to those tabs and insert the new
pages.

I have also made "portfolios" - removing all pages and just covering
the book cover to fit that exchange. This works for pags that are too
thick to insert between tabs.

Personally, I have several boxes that are a perfect size to hold my
tip in pages (I buy lots of Fair Trade stuff - Hunger Site boxes are
perfect. The smallest Priority box is slightly too small). For all new
exchanges, I will be decorating treasure boxes to hold mine.

Interested?

First and last name:
Summer email address:
Snail mail address:
Phone number:
I only use phone number in emergency and do not share them with the
group. I only share email addresses with the group.
Theme suggestion (optional):

Requirements:

6 pages front and back - 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 - mail me 5 for the exchange
Include name and email on your pages - this can be an attached tag if you wish)
Include a Priority Mail stamp (do not include the mailer - I get these)
Delivery confirmation is recommended - but not necessary.
Include an address label - approximately 3" x 5" for me to tape onto
the envelope.
Optional: A write up about the meaning and techniques (this helps
folks learn new techniques). If you do a write-up, it is helpful if it
is also 5 1/2 x 8 1/2. I tip these into the books I have done.

Media? Anything goes - EXCEPT no color photocopies of your original
that you keep. We want YOUR hand in all of the pages. Digital work is
fine (as I always have digital work in mine - mixed with more
traditional). Photo is fine, too. If you are doing photo, please print
on quality paper for us.

It is funny, but often I can't read folks writing when I need to
address the envelopes. I sort up stairs on my living room floor and
have to run downstairs to my computer to look up the mailing
addresses...Lazy me... It is so much easier to just tape on a provided
address label. You can just type it up on regular print paper. I have
wide tape.

I will be collecting names through the end of May. Mail to me will be
July 29 (postmarked by July 29) FIRM. The deadline will NOT be
extended this time. I will only extend deadlines during the school
year. The only exception is if you are done, but would have to Express
mail to get it to me on time. I don't want anyone to have to go to
that expense. Priority Mail is always enough.

Any questions that I didn't cover? Ask OFF LIST as I probably have
written answers already (smile).

Blessings,

Judy Decker

As always -- Getty folks, when you reply, remember to remove member
email addresses before you click "Send".... And Digest folks, remove
the digest from your post before you click "Send". Your efforts reduce
the amount of Spam we all receive. Email addresses that you post get
archived on Getty site for email bots to harvest. I actually found a
site online that has thousands (millions?) of email addresses (that is
all it is). Someone used email bots - found the email addresses that
are online - and put them all on a site for others to find (a ready
made list for Spammers). How odd is that? My Yahoo address is there -
but not this Gmail address - yet.