[teacherartexchange] FW: Interdependence Hexagons Make the Connections!

---------

From: Beth Burkhauser (bburkhauser_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2011 - 10:11:08 PDT

Art Teachers [also Social Studies, Language Arts and Science Teachers!]
Below is an invitation to become involved in  a project that I've chaired now for five years. It's growing worldwide with the awareness of our responsibility to connect students with real world issues - which does motivate and engage them beyond elements and principles. Hexagon: a metaphor for our interconnectedness. Any medium - even digital! Just returned from NAEA  Seattle where I presented a Best Practices Lecture about the Project. Use it to have students reflect upon service projects already done, can also BE a service project and, of course, art IS acting in the world! Down-loadable template, examples, plans.  For jr-middle and high school students [ages 10 - 19]. Deadline: June 30, 2011.  Exhibit in September, 2011. Recognition for outstanding work. See School Arts Magazine March, 2009 and Aug-Sept 2010. Website: www.interdependencedaynepa.org
Thank you so much - I think you will find this exciting for you and your students!
Beth Burkhauser
Chair, Interdependence Hexagon Project
International Interdependence Hexagon Project

Is it the time to
support the development of skills needed for a Global Civil Society??

Should it start
with us?

Allow your
students to think inside, outside and around the Hexagon, a metaphor for our
interconnectedness…

Participate in the
International Interdependence HexagonProject. Create
in any media inside a downloadable interlinking hexagon template[s]!
Deadline: June 30,2011

Exhibit: Opens
September 2, 2011

 For: Jr. High,
Middle School and High School Students

Download the
hexagonal template, download PowerPoints, examples of student work,
handouts for motivation and readings from the Interdependence Handbook - all
available on-line on the Interdependence Website: www.interdependencedaynepa.org.
Click on Hexagon Project
for all materials, guidelines, etc.

 Please plan soon to
engage your students in real-world and issues - allow them to create
individually or collaboratively - as in "Interdependence." Allow them
to choose, research and respond to the many themes about their
interconnectedness: global and local
-  such as social justice,
women's and children's rights, ecology and environment, poverty, civil society
and democracy.

 [also see March 2009 School
Arts Magazine article on pp.38-39 and
August 2011 Issue “Hexagons from the Heart”]

 Project specifically
designed for response from students age 10 to 18 [Jr. High, Middle School,
High School]

 Please use ON-LINE
Registration if at all possible.

Deadline for this
international project, in its 5th year, is June 30, 2011.

Your students'
hexagons will be exhibited in September in Scranton, PA,  with a festive opening on Friday,
September 2, 2011 and a recognition event on September 11 at the Art Works
Gallery in Scranton, PA.

Recognition is given
to students who demonstrate outstanding responses to the themes of
Interdependence in a variety of media. Please feel free to contact,

Beth Burkhauser,
Hexagon Project
Chair, at bburkhauser@msn.com with any questions.

Thank you!
P.S. Please share this invitation with colleagues.