Re: [teacherartexchange] Moldy Clay

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2011 - 20:47:46 PDT

Pam,
I had not heard of using vanilla to combat mold, but if it helps, why not? Does vanilla contain alcohol? Might alcohol reduce mold growth?

I once had two science students in class who identified the natural anaerobic bacteria in the clay. As the clay ages, the bacteria helps the plasticity of the clay. They identified the natural bacteria in the clay and tried adding nutrients to increase the bacteria count in order to increase the plasticity of the clay. I also remember grad students adding bear to their clay mix, but I had never heard of adding potato starch. My students tried bear, but they said the blended potatoes increased the bacteria growth much more than anything else that they tested. They thought it improved the plasticity. Unfortunately, the clay also got a lot of mold, was full of black streaks, and smelled quite bad. It was too much like garbage. Maybe they used too much potato starch. I think they put a package of instant mashed potatoes in about 150 pound of clay. I would not recommend it, but it might work with a very small amount of potato starch if vanilla (or bear) was also added. I have heard that the ancient Chinese potters kept clay moist in caves to allow it to age and become more plastic for their grandchildren to use.
Marvin