[teacherartexchange] mold in acrylic paint

---------

From: watercolorwiz (watercolorwiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2011 - 18:24:52 PDT

While we're talking about nasty stuff, I found that the classroom's Chromacryl
paint, when thinned with gel medium and water, was having a horrendous smell.
After doing a little research, I found on the Golden site that they recommend a
small amount of amonia added to the paint at the time it's thinned, if it's to
be stored for anytime at all.  According to their site, microbes in tap water
will "develop"--just like
my middle school students, I guess.  Anyway, Golden states that neither the
amonia nor the mold will hurt the paint once it's dried.
When I shared this info with my district art teachers, one noted that I should
be careful, as amonia is probably not an OSHA approved substance.  Of course,
OSHA would hate the school's air filtering system as well, but I guess I can't
control that.
Any opinions?  Other suggestions?