[teacherartexchange] Kurt Schwitters and Romare Bearden Collages - NY Times - nice slide shows

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2011 - 09:05:46 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Somehow I missed these articles - and thought maybe some of you did
too - articles ran March 31 (don't know what I was doing that day....I
try to check the art news in NYTimes every day).

Versatile Collagist, Dangerous Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/01/arts/design/kurt-schwitters-exhibition-at-princeton-museum-review.html?_r=1
There is a nice slide show with the article.

Kurt Schwitters: Color and Collage - at Princeton University Art
Museum - now through June 26.
An interdisciplinary study of Kurt Schwitters and found poetry works
well for high school students. Maybe you could get an English teacher
on board? My hubby did it at his school. The art teachers are always
so thankful for all of the connections he makes to art - and often
stop by his room just to see what new stuff he has on displayed.

On the same day, a Romare Bearden article ran -
Visions of Life, Built From Bits and Pieces
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/02/arts/design/romare-bearden-at-michael-rosenfeld-gallery-review.html

Also - with a nice slide show. Romare Bearden has always been one of
my favorite African American artists. If you ever have a chance to see
his collages in person - DO! They are amazing! I saw one in Columbus a
couple weeks ago with my friend, Ann - VERY impressive. The small
scale prints that we show kiddies do not do them justice.

“Romare Bearden Collage: A Centennial Celebration” is on view through
May 21 at Michael Rosenfeld Gallery.
http://www.michaelrosenfeldart.com/exhibitions/exhibition.php?m=ip&i=11b
Do check out works in the exhibition. Some of them are "new-to-me".

Enjoy,

Judy Decker

P.S. - As always (particularly Getty list folks), when you post
replies to the list, remember to clip out the email address of the
original sender. Your efforts have greatly reduced the amount of Spam
I receive - Thanks!