Re: [teacherartexchange] Moldy Clay

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2011 - 07:12:44 PDT

Dana,

I was a clay teacher for over 40 years. What you describe is common problem with rework clay, and even with new clay that has been in moist storage for long periods. In all my classroom years this a problem for only one student who happened to have an allergic reaction to the mold. She was hypersensitive to molds, and could not be in the room. For everybody else it was a bit smelly, but to my knowledge it was never a health risk. I believe you can safely use the clay. Some ventilation is always good. In my opinion, clay and glaze dust can be a greater problem, but there are good ways to control those by using only wet smoothing and wet cleaning methods. Avoid sanding, counter brushes, brooms, and vacuum cleaners.
You can search Hazards in Ceramics and/or Cleaning and working with less clay dust for more information.

Marvin