[teacherartexchange] How to display/protect really big charcoal drawing?

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 02 2011 - 06:53:25 PDT

Whatever you decide to do with the coverings, be aware that any medium like
charcoal or pastel will lift off the surface of the paper when it comes in
contact with plexiglass or any plastic film. Plastics have a lot of static
electricity in them, so unless the charcoal drawings are treated with a
permanent fixative, you will have a mess on your hands and likely ruin the
artwork. You might try first fixing the drawing, then backing the work with a
stiff surface such as 1/4 inch primed masonite or MDF (medium density
fiberboard). You could actually display the work like that without further
coverings. If you desire a more permanent display, then consider building a
frame of wood with a channel that would allow the work to float so it could
remain untouched by the plastic covering. I like the idea by one of the posters
of the insulation film--that could be stretched over the frame. I would also
check with a local college or university art department, because they are likely
to have encountered dealing with large works of art and have some expertise in
display systems.

Jerry