Re: [teacherartexchange] community involving social justice/service-learning artists

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2010 - 06:39:13 PDT

Greetings Michelle,

Robert Rauschenberg came to mind...
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/rauschenberg_robert.html

He did (still does?) workshops for children with disabilities.

Just "Googled" him...His son, Christopher, is carrying on his work.
http://www.labschool.org/content/powerart
Workshops for teachers of children with disabilities

Not sure if Robert Indiana fits.... but his work is about social
issues - and change. LOVE and HOPE come to mind.

I love the work of Sergio Hernandez. I "discovered" him online several
years ago and have been in communication with him ever since. His work
is all about social comment, social injustices...and the need for
change.
http://www.chicanarteyque.com/
Check out "The Wall" -- one of his newer works.
http://www.chicanarteyque.com/New/new21.htm
If anyone wants this image for PowerPoint presentations, let me know
(reply OFF LIST). Sergio puts his images online in sections so people
can't grab them easily.

Many of the muralists were about social justice/social change. Look up
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) Art - you will find a lot of
information.

There is a contemporary mural artist who has community artists do a
individual squares.... Can't remember his name now.....Many of the
themes are social issues.

Please post resources you find on this subject.

If anyone replies to this message, please remove my email address from
your reply. Remember to remove ALL list member addresses when you
reply to a post. Taking the extra second to do that will reduce Spam
all of us receive.

Regards,

Judy Decker