Re: [teacherartexchange] Call for Ideas and new question

---------

From: Diane Davis (dianemdavis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2010 - 19:26:35 PDT

I did wire sculptures by starting with Calder and looking at his early
wire art. Then I did some googling and found lots of wire art,
particularly some huge flat designs that were sold to decorate
companies like banks and businesses. We practiced working with the
wire by taking some and writing our names with it and doing small
images like we had looked at (though much simplified). We eventually
made wire figures .....first doing gesture drawings (my focus was on
movement) as wire is so much like line, then creating the figures out
of wire. I showed them how to make a head, torso and legs out of one
long wire. We added arms last. I had them mounted on wooden and cork
bases with just hot glue, and we decorated them like Calder did his
circus (skirts or hair or things to hold in their hands, etc). The
base was also decorated to help create the illusion of what the
figures were doing. I think it is really hard to do without pliers. I
found that I could get inexpensive ones for about $3 at home depot
last summer. If you can't buy pliers, try to get the kids to bring
some needle nose pliers in for just that unit. you can cut as well as
bend with them. If I remember right, 18 gage isn't supper thick wire,
it may be possible to cut by bending it back and forth. Work out a way
that you can double, triple up the wire for body parts so there is
some thickness that will hold the bends of the movement you give them.
Diane