Re: [teacherartexchange] Need advice for middle school art show

---------

From: Natalie Sakurai (gnatsak_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2010 - 08:10:54 PDT

Not sure if this would work at the junior high level, but at an
elementary school, we set up an inter-active art show, where pieces
were grouped by project. Upon entering the show, students (and
parents) were given a map, showing numbered stations. Each "station"
was manned by volunteer students and parents, who asked each visitor
one of several questions (scripted) about the work at their station.
The questions were based on what students should know about art by
their grade level. (Parents were asked 6th grade questions.) Correct
answers received a stamp or check on their map. (Of course they were
given a second chance if needed.)

Once a map was complete with all stations visited and checked,
students could turn it in for a small prize, and enter a drawing for a
larger prize. Parents really enjoyed taking part in this event,
although it's probably easier to get them involved at the elementary
level. This was also part of a larger event that included hands-on
art activities (sponsored by local businesses), an art occupations
table, (where parents with art-related jobs could talk to kids about
what they do), a "Shoes of Hope" station (where kids could decorate
shoes to be donated to needy children), live music, and a pancake
breakfast.

Have fun!
Natalie-