Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: April 29, 2009

---------

From: Margaret Angstadt (mangstadt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 30 2009 - 04:52:33 PDT

Regarding extended art experiences (i.e. larger drawings) students
take their work home to complete following several classes of
in-school work. Before taking them home, a clarification and
statement of objectives -- including creative approach to subject
matter and to use of materials -- is written by the students to review
while they work at home (plugged into their >>own<< music or silence).
 Depending on the following unit and schedule, one or two days are
scheduled for "mid-point critique"/formative assessment are scheduled.
 Work is posted one wall and discussion ensues.

What I like about this is that students are free to explore their own
creative paths at home with minimal copying of ideas/techniques. The
additional time helps most students. Diversity is wonderful. Work is
mounted/matted for final critique/deadline.

Peggy Angstadt
Visual Arts
Mill River Union High School
Vermont