Re: [teacherartexchange] Starting a Community Arts Board

---------

From: KulasFamily (makul9_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 28 2009 - 03:27:38 PDT

Gabrielle,
We have a nonprofit, ArtWise, whose mission is to improve visual arts
experiences for the kids of our community. It was started by a dedicated
group of parents in the early 90's who saw a need for more art education in
our schools. I agree with Cindy that having it be parent (or community)
driven is extremely important. The group has always been in close
partnership with the school district but it has kept an independent focus.
It started as an all volunteer organization but has evolved into a group
with a paid executive director and some part-time employees. Grant writing,
community and state arts board support, and independent fundraising have
kept it going. They have been instrumental in lobbying for more art in our
elementary schools. Every year they organize a community wide art show of
elementary art from every child in the area; they publish a children's art
calendar, hold Art Camps, and they run a program that frames children's art
and then leases it to businesses. Truly blessed are we! I wish you success
in your endeavor!

Mary in (northern) Minnesota
(still decompressing after the conference!)