Re: [teacherartexchange] speeding up the students?

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 28 2009 - 03:00:16 PDT

I know the feeling. I have one group that seems to take forever on EVERYTHING!

What are they doing? Are they really working for the entire 50
minutes, or are they getting distracted, having conversations, staring
off into space, etc...? Sometimes, if kids are getting bored with a
project, they'll find ways to get distracted and still sort of look
busy (sharpening pencils, getting up to get a tissue, coloring slowly
while chatting with a neighbor, digging through colored pencils with
no real need for anything that's too hard to find...) If that's the
case, you have to really keep them on task. ("Jon, that's enough time
at the pencil sharpener. You're done." "Meaghan, choose a pencil and
get back to work." "Come on, guys, let's get this done so we can move
on to something really fun next week!")

Also, do you set deadlines? I've found that if I don't lay out a
strict deadline for each project, kids tend to drag their feet. But
if they know this project is due next week, they move on it pretty
quickly because they don't want to have to take it home for homework.
There's another thing -- you could require that they finish coloring
at home...

Of course, if they're really working for the entire time and making
progress, speeding them up is only going to hurt the outcome.

This is a pretty time-intensive project. I meet with my kids every
day and it took us a week and a half!

Good luck!

Becky

--