RE: [teacherartexchange] Starting a Community Arts Board

---------

From: The Ericksons (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 27 2009 - 14:18:04 PDT

Gabrielle,
We have a Fine Arts Board. They support the Visual Arts, Drama and Music
Dept. at our school. They do extra things like organizing refreshments,
making DVDs of performances that they sell to parents, putting on an Academy
Awards ceremony at the end of the year etc. They are now fundraising to buy
new display boards for our Art Show. They raise their own money.

IMO, The only reason it works is because a group of parents thought it up
and they are devoted to it. But they are having trouble recruiting new
members. I don't see it being too successful if the art teachers have to
recruit the Board members. If I was starting it up myself I would
definitely find 2 people for each position, one who is elected/appointed and
the next who is being mentored to take their place. The next year that
person would move up and then need to find another to mentor under them.
Does that make sense?
Cindy