RE: [teacherartexchange] Starting a Community Arts Board

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 27 2009 - 13:35:36 PDT

Many many many years ago, when I was in another school district, a regional district, the four art teachers in the system started a community arts board. Well, we tried at least. We invited Board members, members of the community who were prominant, those that had businesses in our town, students, artists, parents, etc. to come to a start up meeting. While everyone agreed more money was needed for the arts at the time (think early 80's), the group seemed to want the art teachers to organize everything, head committees, plan meetings, etc. Our focus, as art teachers, was to ask for help, donations of supplies and monies, for venues to display art, for support in putting up art shows, that sort of thing. The committee never got off the ground because of differing opinions on the ultimate goal of the group.

San D