Re: [teacherartexchange] NAEA Minneapolis

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 25 2009 - 19:44:56 PDT

Marian,

It was fantastic to see so many art ed students at the convention from several states including Minnesota. They were a breath of fresh air for those of us who only have a few years in the classroom knowing there are young people out their eager and full of energy to enter the teaching field. I was excited to see them looking at the current teaching strategies in Art Ed and expanding on their knowledge base to take in all the possible avenues they could follow in their classrooms. My hope is this sparks a urge to continue going to the national convention along with attending their respective state conventions and getting involved in local associations.

Jeff (Minnesota)

I love reading the convention reports so I'll add mine. I have lived in Duluth MN for the past 5 years ( I moved here from Cape Cod) so it was wonderful having the convention in my backyard this time around. It was especially nice to have such beautiful weather Fri. and Sat.(-70 degrees! ). I teach at UMD and we had 35 current and former art ed students attend . Everywhere I went I saw our students and the excitement on their faces about the whole experience was incredible and heart warming. They LOVED it!!! Of course it was affordable for them this time ( most have family or friends to stay with in the Cities), Our challenge is to bring them all to Baltimore next year so we need to do some heavy duty fundraising or find a generous donor.
I attended sessions which addressed assessment( reflection and critique), visual journals ( great sessions by Renee Sandell and Kit Grauer), student teacher dispositions, and classroom management. I really enjoyed the Dinner Party Curriculum presentation and Judy Chicago. For those of you who don't know about it, they have developed a k-12 art curriculum on line at throughtheflower.org. You will need to register but then you can access the curriculum for free. It will be up and running by May 1.
The Crayola party was disappointing- nothing like the great events they have done in the past( the economy I guess?). The vendors were fantastic- very generous- Dick Blick with great sketchbooks, Davis with aprons and School Arts magazines. NAEA gave out Vincent Van Gogh action figures and there were lots of posters, great books to preview and order at a discount etc. etc. The aisles were wide so access seemed better to me this year. ( Could have been less attendees too- not sure).
Regarding the hotel situation, I booked my room at the Hilton a year ago. I find it interesting that I was able to get a cheaper rate than the convention rate. I just called in and didn't mention the convention. Plus my credit card was not charged 1 night's stay immediately which is what happens when you get the "convention rate." I do have a problem with this. Aren't we supposed to get some benefit from a group rate? I have spoken with NAEA about this in the past but they tell me it is Hilton's policy and they can't do anything about it. So a word of advice- don't mention NAEA next time you book and you'll be better off- weird but true.
I am in the process of typing up my convention notes in a word document. If anyone wants them, email me privately. I'm not sure how useful my notes will be to anyone else, but I am willing to share.
Marian

---
To unsubscribe go tohttp://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html