[teacherartexchange] NAEA Minneapolis

---------

From: Marian Colman (mcolman2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 25 2009 - 05:33:23 PDT

I love reading the convention reports so I'll add mine. I have lived
in Duluth MN for the past 5 years ( I moved here from Cape Cod) so it
was wonderful having the convention in my backyard this time around.
It was especially nice to have such beautiful weather Fri. and Sat.
(-70 degrees! ). I teach at UMD and we had 35 current and former art
ed students attend . Everywhere I went I saw our students and the
excitement on their faces about the whole experience was incredible
and heart warming. They LOVED it!!! Of course it was affordable for
them this time ( most have family or friends to stay with in the
Cities), Our challenge is to bring them all to Baltimore next year so
we need to do some heavy duty fundraising or find a generous donor.
I attended sessions which addressed assessment( reflection and
critique), visual journals ( great sessions by Renee Sandell and Kit
Grauer), student teacher dispositions, and classroom management. I
really enjoyed the Dinner Party Curriculum presentation and Judy
Chicago. For those of you who don't know about it, they have
developed a k-12 art curriculum on line at throughtheflower.org. You
will need to register but then you can access the curriculum for
free. It will be up and running by May 1.
The Crayola party was disappointing- nothing like the great events
they have done in the past( the economy I guess?). The vendors were
fantastic- very generous- Dick Blick with great sketchbooks, Davis
with aprons and School Arts magazines. NAEA gave out Vincent Van Gogh
action figures and there were lots of posters, great books to preview
and order at a discount etc. etc. The aisles were wide so access
seemed better to me this year. ( Could have been less attendees too-
not sure).
Regarding the hotel situation, I booked my room at the Hilton a year
ago. I find it interesting that I was able to get a cheaper rate than
the convention rate. I just called in and didn't mention the
convention. Plus my credit card was not charged 1 night's stay
immediately which is what happens when you get the "convention rate."
I do have a problem with this. Aren't we supposed to get some benefit
from a group rate? I have spoken with NAEA about this in the past but
they tell me it is Hilton's policy and they can't do anything about
it. So a word of advice- don't mention NAEA next time you book and
you'll be better off- weird but true.
I am in the process of typing up my convention notes in a word
document. If anyone wants them, email me privately. I'm not sure how
useful my notes will be to anyone else, but I am willing to share.
Marian