RE:[teacherartexchange] Online Art Criticism Between Students - Does it Exist?

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ELLEN.SEARS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 24 2009 - 07:25:57 PDT

I don't know of one that exists - but this would be the perfect activity
for a voicethread or wiki page.
There have been some discussions here about both.
With voicethread you can have your students upload images of their work
- they can type or record comments. Invite others to view and leave
comments. I love voicethread.
You can do the same with wikis - upload images -include an artist
statement if you want - others can view and add to the discussion.

I have seen student work on voicethread... but nothing with organized
groups.

You can make wikis private (for free through wikispaces - and you can
create log ins and passwords without student e-mails, you would have to
extend invitations and permissions for outside viewers), voicethread has
an educators site too - but you have to pay to make it private. ($60)
then you have to invite people.

Both are super simple to use - I have 6 wiki pages for classes, and I
have a voicethread account.
Other on-line groups require that kids are at least 13 with e-mail
accounts. Harder to supervise discussions.

Voicethread.com
Ed.voicethread.com
Wikispaces.com
ning.com
wiziq.com

depends on your age group and how much control you want - if it is to
teach critiquing you will prefer one over another - if it is to expose
them to more - you will want something else.

If you have any questions, let me know.