RE: [teacherartexchange] Asian students

---------

From: LetsartAndy (letsart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 10:37:42 PDT

Thank you very much for the resourceful information and experience on Asian students in art class.

My focus is that some how many of my students doping well in art but some how they have lack of
imagination and creative approach in art.

My point is that it is not because we are Asian and doing better in art. Maybe Asian students are doing excellent job in drawing and painting skills. But my understanding of art is more than a drawing and painting. It is a concept and thinking process in creativity. As many of you advised me as the language makes somehow our brain works. But what I am interested is the educational approach as parents and teachers.

How can we explain the fact that Asian students are good at drawing but why not many successful and creative artists are not comming? Most of Korean art students in college that I have met are not so well in concept making and understanding of basic philosophy of art that they do.

For me, good artist is doing lots of study and research based on many different experience. But many Korean art students are not well in researching and stuying in asthetic and academic study. That's why many people in Korea thinks art student is not studying in academic field. That's totaly wrong and I hate to hear this myth.

Korean students are not well educated in variety of academic fields in their schools. Teacher gives lesson in how to use brush and skills etc. They are good and draftmanship but that's only a part of art.

I always envy of American art museums and art programs at american colleges. It seems that many young colleagues get the chance to challenge them selves through college. But here in Korea, many aret students doing pretty much same old painting skills. Even they copying their painting styles from their professors in the past.
Hong Ik University is Korea's most famous and well know school in art. They have just announced that they will not select their freshman by taking painting skill exam which has been only way to show their artistic talents. When they apply art school, they go to the school's studio and draw same exact items (Still Life) at same time.
Hundreds and thousands of painting arer all same. Can you believe that? Professors admit that these students are not looking at the still life but memorized what they suppose to draw. That's why they decided not to give exam but instead they will do the review of application and self statement and academic records. As well as their SAT records they will also review art activities in high school. They will do 2 intensive interviews.

What I am trying to write about is right way of nurturing and educating young children how to think and feel and express in various methods and ways freely. Not they are becomming a draftman in art.

I just want to know how american or western art educators and parents(Specially) mentoring their children in creative art fields.

Sincerely yours,

Andy