[teacherartexchange] Plastic Bags Chickens - San D's How to

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 14 2009 - 16:58:28 PDT

Greetings Getty list members,

I saw that many were asking for San D's chicken how to so I asked her
to send it to me to share through Incredible Art Department. It is
easier to just share it this way - From San D:

These chickens are from Africa! I own one, and had to make one! The
colors are from the bags themselves. If you go to a recycling place
(and sometimes your supermarket has a recyling bin) you can pick
through and get different colors of bags.

here it is

I don't have formal plans, so I will just give you how I made them.
It's been 4 years since I made a chicken because I don't teach a
crafts class anymore, but I think I will revive the assignment with my
art students who are going on to college...just for a bit of June fun!

OK. so here it goes.

You need
hangers (or armature wire, which is what I used)
plastic bags
floral wire (you know the kind that comes on it's own paddle) (or any
easily bent thin wire).
scissors. (to trim bags and give it a shape).
googly eyes.
Hard plastic from lids of cans (like mixed nuts cans, or bread crumb
cans, that kind of hard plastic).

This chicken relies on your knowing how to make flowers with tissue
paper (because it is based on the same idea). If you don't know how to
do that, don't worry, I will explain below.

Also, I can't remember how many bags I used per chicken, so you will
have to make a chicken first to figure it out.

1. Take each bag, flatten it out, cut off the bottom, and the handles
(if they extend out above edge of bag), so that you have a piece of
double plastic in a rectangle shape. Slice the slides of the bag, so
now you have two pieces of plastic.

2. Stack 6-8 of these pieces of plastic on top of each other.

3. Fanfold the bunch, using small folds, and then find the middle of
the "fan", and wrap a piece of the floral wire tightly around the
middle, leaving a long tail of wire (you will use that later.

4. Hold up the bunch in your hand, with your fingers holding the wire
in the middle of the bunch. Now take your other hand and "peel" away
EACH of the layers on either side of the wire so that they come UP
towards the middle (and do the same on the back side, by pulling up
EACH layer up towards the middle). <-this is how you make a flower by
the way.

5. You now have a sort of plastic ballish shape of ruffled plastic
bags. Look at the chicken and you will see that it is made of many of
these sections. (of course they have all been trimmed to look like a
chicken body.) Make at least 4 of these balls.

6. You take the wire tail that you left with each section, and wire
the balls together, making sure to curve the balls according to the
shape of the chicken (you will trim these to make it look like a
chicken after they are wired together...think Edward Scissorhands.).
You can also wire these chicken parts onto the hangers/armature wire
to form the body (I didn't, and it worked, but I own an original
chicken from Africa, and when I look closely at it, it has the
armature wire inside of the body.)

7. You now have to make a "cradle" with feet for the body of the
chicken to sit in. You use the armature wire, or a hanger to do that.
I spread the sections of the chicken apart in the middle, and then did
a sort of continuous line of wire, starting with one foot, up around
the chicken, and back down again to the other foot.

8. You then take your scissors and define the shape of the chicken.
The closer you shave into it the tighter the bags will appear. Look
at the tail, it isn't shaped at all, and appears wider, fuller but not
so dense. The head you want dense.

9. You take the hard plastic, and you make a beak, and the rooster
comb, and the other waddly thing under the beak and hot glue that on.
You also hot glue on the eyes.

Have fun.

San D