[teacherartexchange] plastic bag creations

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ELLEN.SEARS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 14 2009 - 07:51:01 PDT

Intrigued by the plastic bag chicken requests... and I wonder why the
kids can't focus on their work... where did my planning go?

Interesting story:
http://www.wow-imports.com/plastic_bag_animals.asp

loved the picture - some more animals:

http://www.wow-imports.com/products.asp?cat=21

found sandals made from recycled bags - the process... didn't know
images transferred when the plastic was warm... like silly putty:
The material used in the sandals is made from recycled polythene bags
that are picked up from the streets of cities in India every day. No
colors or dyes are used. The many colors of waste plastics that are
recovered are combined to achieve the resultant colors of the textiles.

Compared to conventional recycling process the proprietary process used
in making the textiles in our sandals and handbags uses much less energy
and causes no pollution. Now, the plastic bags that once littered the
streets of New Delhi, India are providing income for under privileged
local men and women. The bags are reclaimed, sorted, cleaned, then
transformed into "new" sheets of colorful and unique fabric.

Great photos - love the raincoat:
http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2007/08/plastic_bag_crafts.html

loon with coat hanger armature:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Recycle-plastic-grocery-bags-into-Loons/