Re: [teacherartexchange] Korean Mothers vs American mothers

---------

From: carmen santiago (coquilinamar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 13 2009 - 11:26:50 PDT

Bridge in spanish is masculine

----- Original Message ----
From: Woody Duncan <woodyduncan@comcast.net>
To: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group <teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:32:06 PM
Subject: Re: [teacherartexchange] Korean Mothers vs American mothers

Andy,
    Your topic is interesting. As a retired middle school art teacher
who had several
students of asian decent in classes - I formed some opinions. These
students as a
rule took easily to drawing from observation and other creative
efforts. In college I
studied visual perception and learning styles related to the two
hemispheres of
our brains. I taught using techniques from Dr. Betty Edwards and felt
that my asian
students were very right brain thinkers. Of course other factors were
involved in
their interest and talents in my art classes. Art was a safe place to
learn social skills
and develop english skills in a non threatening environment. My asian
students
paid careful visual attention to demonstrations either because they
did not understand
the oral instructions or because at home they were taught to observe
carefully.
    I often wondered why they seemed more right brain oriented. Then I
read an article
about brain development based on the native language of the learner.
Most asian
languages are tonal in nature based upon rising or falling tones much
like music.
Early musical skill development has been sighted as training the
right side of the
brain. Our standard methods of instruction stress the left hemisphere
- ie: math,
language, memorization, etc. The study I read claimed that the
musical nature
of asian languages developed the right hemisphere of those who
learned those
languages. Even my asian students who were born in the states learned
their
parents languages at home. Many served as translators for their parents.
    My observations and opinions are just mine - not based on any study.
But I believe the language of the learner is a major factor in the
way they think.
I recently heard of a study where languages like german and spanish
which
have gender specific nouns effect the thinking of the user. For
instance the word
bridge is female in spanish and male in german. Speakers of each
language
were shown photos of a bridge. Spanish speakers described the bridge as:
elegant, beautiful, artistic, soaring, etc. While german speakers
gave descriptions
like: strong, sturdy, powerful, etc.
    The languages we learn appear to have a major impact on the way we
think
and see the world. So perhaps there is much more to the way we turn
out than
just the way our mothers raised us. Just something more to think
about. My own
mother taught me to have respect for all types of people, to be open
minded.
Yet, I was 20 before I learned that she had a strong, long held
prejudice toward
germans. Mothers decide what to teach their children.
                    Good Luck on Your Book, Woody

On Apr 11, 2009, at 10:18 AM, 현재훈 wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I need some help, idea, oppinion, experience and any help for me to
> write a small book about "How parents and teachers encourage
> children's creativity".
> My book will something that what are some good experience and
> examples thjat you might had before.
>
> I am a Korean art teacher and currently teaching Korean children
> age 7 to 13. But I have found quite confusing and difficulty of
> Korean mothers and teachers specially mothers.
> Most of Korean young mothers are quite focused and strongly driven
> for their will for children's education. They so think they are
> Alpha Mom.
> As you perhaps have heard that Korean are very competitive in
> education but they are very competitive and strict.
>
> I am trying to write all mothers are same that they love their
> children dealy. But I see quite alot of difference in their
> education for creative environment.
> I am trying to make some argument and points that Korean and
> american mothers nurture and teach their children in different
> way. There are good parts of Korean mothers's side
> but also I want them to know how good american mothers and teachers
> lead their children in creative education.
>
> If you wouldn't mind would you please share some your experience
> and stories or information about good part of American teachers and
> mothers?
> I have studied in the states for 8 years and taught there for about
> few years. I have had greatest time ever while I was there. All
> my professors were great and they were like my father and mother.
> I saw so many wonderful things in public and private education as
> an art major. I would like to introduce these good things...to
> Korean mothers and teachers.
>
> Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories or experience
> with me. You can email me seperately or you can bring free
> discussion.
>
> I am looking forward to hearing from you all.
>
> Thakn you so much.
>
> Sincerely yours,
>
> Andy Lee from Korea

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque