RE: [teacherartexchange] High school and elementary ceramic lessons

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ELLEN.SEARS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 13 2009 - 06:38:36 PDT

I have just finished two of my favorite clay projects - rattles and
spoons.

Rattles are just fun and a good way for practice with clay - lots of
science with clay bodies and sound.

And the spoons are just treasures - my 5th graders did both. The spoons
are like an engineering project - there is so much they have to think
about when designing. Basically pinch and coil - lots of fine modeling
done - embellishments and surface treatments all in a very small space.
We use Mayco Stroke and Coat glazes and dip when finished. (Starting
with a pinch pot and coil - think creatively to make your spoon 'into
something'... scorpions, flowers, lizards, alligators, dragonfly, frog
catching a fly... or push the clay and see what you can do with
coils...)

Our other teacher is a clay artist - she has the 7th graders spend
months on slab fantasy houses. They take forever - but they are very
nice.

Ellen