Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] High school and elementary ceramic lessons

From: trish ackerman (dacke8175_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 12 2009 - 21:32:49 PDT

I teach middle school and as far as slab projects go, I make a triangular slab vase using tar paper (from a roof-donated) as patterns to make the vase. They only need to make a base and add a coil on the inside seam. Then they decorate with applique letters, shapes, ipods, whatever. The high school goes a step further and does slab bird houses in our district, so I feel my vase is practice for that. They really like making them. It helps to demo the whole procedure before they make them.

Trish Ackerman
 Core Knowledge Charter School Middle School Art,Parker, Colorado