Re: [teacherartexchange] Toilet paper roll sculptures - Masks - French artist

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 11 2009 - 13:21:14 PDT

I'm loving this link. I'm starting a new class next year that will
replace our traditional Crafts program. My intention is that is a
about "Green Art" -- lots of recyclables and thinking about what we
can do with "waste."
I intend to have many projects that require group cooperation and
installation type ideas-- I'm just imagining what can be done
with toilet paper and paper towel rolls. ??!!??
  I will be writing this curriculum this summer. My idea is an art
class that defies "traditional" and challenges creative problem
solving. I'm in a bit of dismay about how inadequate our youth is
at "solving." I'm very tired of lessons that present a
"formula." I want to see thinking process - not mimicry- so
I'm going to take the toilet paper roll, and all the other stuff we
throw away and ask "What can it be?" My assessments will be all
about process and not necessarily about product. I may spend a
semester finding that experimenting can be valuable as an end .

I am not not sure the value of re-producing what this artist does. I
do see the value in asking what can YOU do with a tube of cardboard?

Patty