Re: [teacherartexchange] middle schoolers

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 09 2009 - 15:53:44 PDT

> "I think activities will be useful but I don't want to stray into
> the studio art area too much."

Hands-on activities are the way to go - design activities which will
pose problems,
raise questions and really make the students think. They will be much
more prone
to explore the power of thinking like an artist if they are the
artists. Document the
students working every step of the way. Then have the students design
a powerpoint
to explain what they learned.
                                                                Woody

On Apr 9, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Christi Schimpke wrote:

> HI,
>
> I'm very new to this group and need some help. I've begun teaching
> art Appreciation to middle schoolers at a Bridge program. We've had
> one class so far where we discussed the seven elements of art. I used
> a powerpoint presentation and basically we talked about works of art
> and which elements were used and how.
>
> I think these kids (high risk) are bored sitting and watching even if
> they are engaging in conversation. This is my first time teaching art
> appreciation (i usually teach art history at a higher level) and I'm
> at a loss as to how to structure this class. I think activities will
> be useful but I don't want to stray into the studio art area too much.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to proceed? I really
> appreciate any and all help!
>
> Thank you!
>
> Christi Schimpke
> HOLA (Heart of Los Angeles)