[teacherartexchange] middle schoolers

---------

From: Christi Schimpke (christischimpke_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 09 2009 - 15:22:49 PDT

HI,

I'm very new to this group and need some help. I've begun teaching
art Appreciation to middle schoolers at a Bridge program. We've had
one class so far where we discussed the seven elements of art. I used
a powerpoint presentation and basically we talked about works of art
and which elements were used and how.

I think these kids (high risk) are bored sitting and watching even if
they are engaging in conversation. This is my first time teaching art
appreciation (i usually teach art history at a higher level) and I'm
at a loss as to how to structure this class. I think activities will
be useful but I don't want to stray into the studio art area too much.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to proceed? I really
appreciate any and all help!

Thank you!

Christi Schimpke
HOLA (Heart of Los Angeles)