Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Cutting Back On Art Classes

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 07:51:22 PDT

Cutting Back On Art Classes:
           When we were back in KC, I visited with the district's art
supervisor. I found out that the district was in a budget crunch.
Schools were told to cut 10% from their budgets. Art will be cut from
Rosedale, my old middle school, and a few other buildings. Each
building handled it differently. Cutting long running art programs
are not at all like trimming rose bushes, they don't always grow
back. I did check to be sure the equipment (kiln, slab roller,
printing press, etc) would be saved or used by another school. I was
also concerned about 25 years of Scholastic Art magazines and the
hundreds of art exemplars I left in the classroom. This is a really
sad change - that hopefully can be corrected. Now that I'm back home,
I plan to write a carefully worded letter to the superintendent and
the school board members. Why take all the magic out of learning ?
When the art and music is gone from young lives, there leaves little
reason to learn to read or compute anymore.

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

Read My Blog:

Watercolors on Note Cards

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons