Re: [teacherartexchange] textbook

---------

From: Valerie Colston (artprofessor_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 14:58:41 PDT

A good studio art text for teens is a Barrons Educational Aspire Series
It's highly recommended by School Library Journal and others

COLSTON, Valerie. 200 Projects to Strengthen Your Art Skills. 128p.
(Aspire Series). illus. photos. reprods. glossary. index. Barron's.
2008. paper. $21.99. ISBN 978-0-7641-3811-9.

 School Library Journal.

Adult/High School—This fascinating book will appeal to serious
students of art, casual hobbyists, and anyone curious about the how
and why behind a variety of artistic techniques. Written with art
students in mind, it includes a section on putting together a
portfolio and examples of art-school applicants' sketchbooks and
portfolios. The text takes a do-it-yourself approach to learning a
full complement of basic and intermediate techniques. Colston gathers
examples and prescribes an assortment of observation exercises and
projects that explore such concepts as shadow, distortion, mood, and
collage. Each mini lesson stands on its own, so readers can choose
from projects that catch their interest. Instructions are clear and
brief, and concepts are grouped around the themes of line, color,
texture, and form. The author covers an assortment of media, but most
of the techniques and exercises focus on drawing and painting. Readers
looking for in-depth explanations of particular techniques won't find
step-by-step guidelines in exhaustive detail, but Colston does a good
job of providing an overview of the fundamentals and introducing a
wide range of techniques. The dynamic layout is filled to the brim
with illustrations, and the project ideas will stimulate creativity
and encourage experimentation.—Heidi Dolamore, San Mateo County
Library, CA

http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6601442.html

Inkrethink Blog author Anna Lewis highly recommends this book for teen reader.

. . .To continue this creativity theme, here are some great art books
for teens I recently discovered. Last year on the YALSA listserve,
someone asked for recommendations of good books about art for teens
and this was one of the books suggested. Always loving a good art
book, I had to hunt it down. What a perfect book for teens. I wish I
had this book in high school. I had one book on painting and one book
on illustration - both very worn out now. 200 Projects is one of the
most comprehesive, clear, and concise art books on the market. INK
BLOG February 1, 2009
http://inkrethink.blogspot.com/2009/01/nonfiction-for-teens-to-ignite-creative.html

Often ranked in the Popular/Best Seller on Amazon’s Art and
Photography-Reference-Studying and Teaching category.