[teacherartexchange] Nick Cave - Art meets Dance - Soundsuits Exhibit

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 13:00:07 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

This exhibit looks very cool! Watch the videos.

Nick Cave - Chicago artist - creates "soundsuits" - then does
performances wearing the suits.

New York Times article (N Y Times is free to your inbox - art stories
every day).

I Dream the Clothing Electric
By JORI FINKEL
Published: March 31, 2009
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/arts/design/05fink.html?pagewanted=1&ref=design
article has several images plus a video.

Nick Cave at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
http://www.ybca.org/tickets/production/view.aspx?id=8191

From the web site:
>>YBCA presents the largest scale presentation of work by Chicago-based artist, Nick Cave, featuring forty of his "Soundsuits"—multi-layered mixed-media, wearable sculptures named for the sounds made when the sculptures are worn. As reminiscent of African and religious ceremonial costumes as they are of haute couture, Cave's work explores issues of ceremony, ritual, myth and identity. He does this through a layering of concepts, highly-skilled techniques and varied traditions, using materials such as fabrics, beads, sequins, old bottle caps, rusted iron, sticks, twigs, leaves and hair. Mad, humorous, elaborate, grotesque, glamorous and unexpected, the Soundsuits are created from scavenged ordinary materials—detritus from both nature and culture—that Cave re-contextualizes into visionary masterpieces.

Several videos on the site.

From a previous NY Times slide show:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/01/09/fashion/sundaystyles/0111-PULSE_5.html

From previous exhibits at Jack Shainman Gallery
http://www.jackshainman.com/dynamic/artist.asp?ArtistID=23
http://www.jackshainman.com/dynamic/exhibit_artist.asp?ExhibitID=64

More Art News from New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html

Enjoy,

Judy Decker

(Note: Getty list members, please do not post my email address if you
make a reply. Digest users - remove the content of the digest before
you click "send". If members would be more careful, we would all
receive less spam.)