[teacherartexchange] El Anatsui's - Art from Recycled Materials

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 04 2009 - 09:05:20 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

I found this Ghanaian artist mentioned on Dr. Craig Roland's blog for
"Green Friday"
El Anatsui: Gawu
http://africa.si.edu/exhibits/gawu/index.html

From the site:

>> Throughout his career Ghanaian artist El Anatsui has experimented with a variety of media, including wood, ceramics and paint. Most recently, he has focused on discarded metal objects, hundreds or even thousands of which are joined together to create truly remarkable works of art. Anatsui indicates that the word gawu (derived from Ewe, his native language) has several potential meanings, including "metal" and "a fashioned cloak." The term, therefore, manages to encapsulate the medium, process and format of the works on view, reflecting the artist's transformation of discarded materials into objects of striking beauty and originality.

"Art grows out of each particular situation, and I believe that
artists are better off working with whatever their environment throws
up." - El Anatsui, 2003

Check out Art Junction:
http://artjunction.org/blog/

Craig has a list of more artists - plus of a list of other bloggers
who participated in "Green Friday".

Enjoy!

Judy Decker

Note to Getty Members: Please do not post my email address if you reply.